Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Paula Patton Finds Term Biracial Offensive

This is old news, but I felt compelled to write about it. First of all I really dislike how many Multiracial and Biracial groups claim Paula Patton as mixed race. She doesn't identify as such, so why should we embrace her, when she doesn't reciprocate?

Anyways a while back actress Paula Patton revealed that she thinks that the term "biracial" is offensive and goes on to ignorantly say "It's a way for people to separate themselves from African-Americans a way of saying I'm better than that. She also says  "I'm black because that's the way the world sees me. People aren't calling Barack Obama biracial. Most people think there's a black president. People judged me because I was light-skinned. They'd [assume] I didn't want to be part of the black race." she says.

Hmmm let's analyze this.... So Paula knows everyone who identifies as Biracial and knows for a fact we are trying to separate ourselves from African Americans? Furthermore if we actually wanted to separate ourselves from African Americans we would go the route the young lady on MTV's "True Life" who denies that she is Biracial altogether in favor of identifying as "Costa Rican" (a nationality, not a race by the way). Biracial means two races generally, Multiracial means two or more races, there is nothing in the definition that states "better than being Black". Also Mrs. Patton-Thick fails to acknowledge there are Biracial people that are Asian/White that may identify as Biracial. So is it okay for these individuals to identify as Biracial, while its wrong for a Black/White or Black/Asian etc to say they are Biracial? 

Secondly she goes on to say that she is Black because that is the way the world see's her, not explaining how she see's herself. So if the "world" saw her as Biracial would she magically change her mind and identify as such. If the world saw her as overweight would she begin starving herself? 

Thirdly she says people aren't calling Barack Obama Biracial. What people is she talking about? Has she spoken to everyone and their feelings on how they view the president racially? Barack Obama IDENTIFIES as Black, which is why he is called such.

Lastly she says "People judged me because I was light-skinned. They'd [assume] I didn't want to be part of the black race."? So is this why she feels the need to bash persons who identify as Biracial in an effort to be loyal to the Black race because "people" assumed she didn't want to be Black because of her light skin? Again people. Does this young lady have a mind of her own, or does she base her everyday actions on what others think of her? For years people have told me that I am not Black enough, and have made racist remarks due to my light skin. I'm sure they assumed I didn't want to be Black either, however the difference between me and Paula is I don't care, in addition to the fact that not everyone cares or has a issue with how "Black" you are. If someone feels that I am using the term Multiracial as an attempt to be better than Black, so be it. Its not true, and I really don't have to prove myself to anyone. I am proud of ALL of my heritages including Black. 

While Paula has the right to racially identify how she chooses, it is not her right to criticize persons who identify as Biracial. She doesn't know everyone's story, how they were raised. Just like no one has the right to criticize a person who does not identify as Biracial. If Paula is trying to make up for the fact that she married a White man by proving how "Black" she is that is her business, but don't attack the Biracial community in the process. 

No comments:

Post a Comment