Thursday, July 21, 2011

Halle Berry and the "one drop theory"

I have to admit when I heard that Halle Berry proclaim earlier this year that she "believed in the one drop theory" in regards to her Multiracial daughter Nahla, I was beyond angry at the Academy Award winning actress. However certain people did not quite understand my emotion. I initially became part of a facebook page entitled "Boycott Halle Berry for embracing the racist one drop rule", however I eventually left the group because there was really not much to "boycott" per se. However, I was quite surprised at the anger from others, for my supporting this group. Some of the comments towards me were borderline ignorant, accusing me of boycotting Berry because she called her daughter Black. Hello! I NEVER once said I denounced the actress because she called her daughter Black. She has the right to call HER daughter whatever she chooses, however my reasoning for "boycotting" was simply because she supports a racist, Jim Crow law, nothing more. Just like segregation and slavery were racist, so is the one drop rule. But now ODR benefits the Black community, because people like Halle Berry and Barack Obama get counted as the first AA actress to win a Best Actress academy award, (for getting naked with a racist White man in a motion picture I might add), and for being the first Black president. Therefore in situations like this ODR is a great rule racists created! Interesting enough if Halle Berry had lived during Jim Crow, her relationship with her former boyfriend Gabriel Aubry would have resulted in her arrest due to Jim Crow making it illegal for interracial marriages and relationships. Berry is now involved with yet another man outside of her race. Does she support the "theory" interracial marriages and unions should be illegal too? Probably not. Hypocrisy at its finest.

And like good ole Paula Patton, Berry is apologizing because she fathered a child with a White dude. She knew what she was doing when she made that decision, so why is she apologizing for it now? I doubt the Black community is losing sleep because she had a child with a White guy. I'm sure some ignorant people had their comments, Black and White, and I heard she did receive threats. However Berry also recently won a restraining order against a stalker, apparently not related to the whole "my baby daddy is white" issue. So therefore because she received threats allegedly because the father of her child is White, she decides to campaign for the ODR, to appease the persons who supposedly threaten her. However I don't see her staying in the house because of her alleged stalker.  My point is people like Paula Patton and Halle Berry do an excellent job putting their foot in their mouth. Not only are they trying to diminish the Multiracial community, but we have other Mixed race people that still support them claiming them as Biracial persons. While they may be Biracial genetically, this is not how they choose to identify, therefore we shouldn't claim them as our own.

No comments:

Post a Comment